Picnic & Paddle
Spirit Island in the Haw River is located just downriver from a dam and powerhouse
that in the early part of the twentieth century supplied electricity to a textile mill in
Swepsonville, NC. Today, the Island is remote, wild, peaceful and a wonderful place to
escape the stresses of an urban lifestyle.
We begin this canoe and/or kayak trip with a picnic lunch on Spirit Island. Following
lunch, our paddle will take us downriver to Saxapahaw. Because of the remote nature
of this stretch of river, birds and wildlife are easily seen. Volcanic rock outcrops along
the shoreline show evidence of an interesting geologic past.
Fee: $35 per person with the canoe/kayak provided.
* For an additional charge, lunch can be provided by the Saxapahaw General Store. In addition to $3.00 per boat and the price of the picnic lunch, we will place your order, pick it up and have it ready for you to take on the trip. See the menu below for what is available.
Boxed Lunch by Saxapahaw General Store
for Haw River Canoe and Kayak Paddles
*Sandwich, Side Salad or Potato Salad,
and Cookie or Organic Apple: $14
*Sandwich, Kettle Chips, and Big Cookie
(chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin) or Organic Apple: $12
*Add Bottled Water: $1.00
(GF bread available by request):
Chicken Salad: on Croissant with Lettuce, Tomato, and Red Onion
Grilled Chicken: on scratch Foccacia with Provolone, Lemon-Garlic Aioli, Lettuce, Tomato, and Cucumber
Turkey Club: Turkey, Bacon, Cheddar, Dijon, Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato on scratch Sourdough
Roast Vegetable: Roasted tomatoes, zucchini, squash, peppers, onions, olive tapenade, spinach and goat cheese on multigrain bread.
Portabella Wrap: Portabellas, provolone, caramelized onions, romaine lettuce, lemon-garlic aioli, wrapped.
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 22 July 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 5 August 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 12 August 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 26 August 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 9 September 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 23 September 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 7 October 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 21 October 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 28 October 2017
- 12:00 pm Saturday, 4 November 2017